Monday 10 November 2014

Tamada Mukuzani 2011 - Kakheti Georgia - Red -

Here we go...the first wine review. I could have selected an old stand-by or a vintage from a 'popular' wine country but where is the fun in that.  For my first review I thought I should select a wine I have never tired.  Not only have I never tried the wine, I have not had a wine from this country or tried a wine made from this variety of grape.  My first selection:

Wine:  Tamada Mukuzani 2011
Location:  City of Kvareli, Kakheti region. Republic of Georgia.
Grape:  Saperavi
Sugar Content: 6 g/L
Alcohol: 13.5%
Price: $13.95 at LCBO/Vintages
Vintages Number:  13979
i
Knowing nothing about Georgia as a wine country, the saperavi grape or Mukuzani wines I have relied on Wikipedia to fill in the blanks and have provided links.

Mukuzani wines are dry, red Georgian wines made from saperavi grapes and aged in oak casks. Wikipedia says Mukuzani is aged a minimum of 3 years but the bottle describes a wine aged at least 12 months. I believe the bottle is an accurate description as I believe it was bottled in 2012 even though I am enjoying it in 2014. One website recommended chilling the open bottle in the refrigerator for 15 minutes before drinking (Approximately 16C). I agree with this as I think it slightly improved the flavour.

They describe their wine as being of a deep ruby with garnet tinges and a flavour of soft smokiness over velvety berry aromas. As an amateur wine drinker I don't always agree with the description on the bottle. In this case I would say the description is extremely accurate.

The only thing I would add is there seems to be an earthy, slightly chalky finish. It is not at all unpleasant, simply different than I have experienced with other wines and grape varieties. It is extremely smooth and there is no unpleasant acidity or aftertaste that I have experienced with other inexpensive wines of lower quality.

The recommendation on the bottle is to enjoy the wine with game meats, steak, veal, lamb, traditional goat cheeses and vegetable dishes.

My rule is always to drink what you like. That being said, I think the general rule of thumb is to enjoy stronger red wines with more flavourful meats and meals and lighter wines with less flavourful foods such as pasta and poultry.  I think the central idea is not to overwhelm the flavour of the food with your wine selection. This may not be completely accurate but it is my interpretation of wine pairing.

Again, my rule is always drink what you like. If you still enjoy your pasta with a full-bodied wine, then by all means, drink and enjoy. Just know that you may be going against the traditional wine gospel.

I very much enjoyed this wine. In my opinion this is a flavourful, medium to full-bodied wine with a pleasant finish. Velvety berry flavours and soft smokiness is a good description.

I would gladly drink this wine again.

Recommendation:  Uncork
Rating:                   8 out of 10


No comments:

Post a Comment