Friday 14 November 2014

Borsao Tres Picos Garnacha 2012

Wine:  Borsao Tres Picos Garnacha 2012
Location:  Campo de Borja, Spain
Grape: Grenache
Sugar Content: 7 g/L
Alcohol: 14.5%
Price: $19.95 at LCBO/Vintages
Vintages Number:  273748

I was really looking forward to trying this wine. All of the reviews I had seen were good and I have a soft spot for Spanish wines.

After letting the wine breathe for 15 minutes I poured a glass and smelled what I thought was the faint smell of rubbing alcohol.  I then tried the wine and I noted a sour/bitter taste.  I googled rubbing alcohol and wine and found out that my bottle of wine may have experienced a microbial taint.  I visited the website WineFolly.com and read that certain microbes can spoil the wine.

Apparently this happens sometimes and the wine probably won't hurt you but the taste is unpleasant. Reputable wine retailers should be willing to take the bottle back as they can write it off.

As a result of this experience I am going to give Borsao the benefit of the doubt and not rate their wine. If I try it again sometime and experience the same thing then I will recommend keeping the bottle corked.

These things will sometimes happen.  For a simple explanation of problems please visit the Wine Folly website.




Recommendation:  No recommendation


Rating:                   No rating


Vintages Tasting Note
The terrific 2012 Tres Picos is one of the finest inexpensive, Grenache-based wines made in the world. This full-bodied beauty boasts a deep ruby colour as well as loads of strawberry and black cherry fruit, hints of lavender and crushed rocks, sweet tannin, and a broad, savory mouthfeel. It, too, should be consumed over the next 3-4 years. Score - 92. (Robert Parker Jr., erobertparker.com, Nov. 2013).




No comments:

Post a Comment