Tuesday 23 December 2014

Trapiche Vina Jorge Miralles Terroir Series Single Vineyard Malbec 2009

Another wine, another country.  This one is a Malbec from Argentina.  Malbec is increasingly being associated with Argentina however it is thought to have originated in the Burgundy region of France.

This wine breaks my rule of not spending more than $20 but it`s the holiday season and I`m treating myself.  I`m also cheating by trying this wine after reading another review. I like to try wine without having read about it from a wine professional.

It was described as a $40 wine that tastes like a $120 bottle of wine receiving a score of 95 in Wine Enthusiast Magazine. 

I never drink $40 wine let alone $120 wine so I thought I should give it a try...so here it goes.

Wine:  Trapiche Vina Jorge Miralles Terroir Series Single Vineyard Malbec 2009
Location:  Argentina
Grape:  Malbec
Sugar Content:  6g/L
Alcohol:  15%
Price:  $39.95
Vintages number: 261040



The wine is an extremely deep purple colour.  The smell is of dark cherry.  On first drinking it is extremely silky.  Spice and dark chocolate are the closest I can get to describing it. The finish is smooth and pleasant.

It is a good wine, better than many I have tried.  That being said, there are less expensive wines that I would prefer to drink.  

What I may be discovering is that wine enthusiasts might describe my palate as unrefined.  I find that I like wines with stronger fruit flavours over spice and dark chocolate. 

The bottom line:  If you like medium to full-bodied wines with spice and dark chocolate notes then you will like this wine more than I did. It is a good wine but not my favourite, particularly at this price.  I would drink it again but only if someone else is buying.

Recommendation:  Uncork
Rating:                   8 out of 10



No comments:

Post a Comment