Friday 12 December 2014

Boutari Agiorgitiko Nemea Red 2012

The Uncorked world tour continues to Greece with the Boutari Agiorgitiko Nemea Red.  The Agiorgitiko or St. George grape is native to Greece and is now the most widely planted red variety in the country.

Wines produced from this grape are known to by fruity with low acidity and strong colour.  With my love of beaujolais, I am looking forward to trying this one. 

Wine:  Boutari Agiorgitiko Nemea Red
Location:  Greece
Grape:  Agiorgitiko
Sugar Content:  5g/L
Alcohol:  13%
Price:  $11.95
Vintages number: 172148


The 2011 vintage is pictured above but I am trying the 2012.  It is a very deep red with a very sweet, fruity aroma that actually reminds me of grape crush pop and the inexpensive powder-made u-brew wine I drank while in university. 

It doesn’t taste like grape crush though. In fact it does not have much flavour at all.  It is a very light, inoffensive wine with a slightly bitter finish.

Like a pinot noir, you could probably pair this with duck or seafood and it would not over-power the flavour of your food. But why would you want to?

It is not a bad wine but it’s not a good wine either.  It is a wine seeking a personality. Like oatmeal, maybe you could add fruit and make sangria.


I don’t dislike this wine but it bores me.  I look forward to trying more wines from this variety but I won’t be uncorking this one again.

Recommendation:  Cork
Rating:                   6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment